Innovative/experimental poetry in General Ed classes

My students connected much more to the innovative poetry than the traditional in my Irish Lit. class.



I played Seamus Heaney for 20 min. Then some audio of Gabe Gudding reading from a Defense of Poetry, then Mairéad Byrne's "The Pillar" and Randolph Healy's "Daylight Savings Sex."



Almost all of my students have not read any contemporary poetry. By their excitement, comments etc. they connected emotionally and intellectually to:



#1 Mairéad Byrne's "The Pillar"

#2 Gabriel Gudding's A Defense of Poetry

#3 Randolph Healy's Daylight Savings Sex

#4 Seamus Heaney



That's right. Hand's down, the most popular poet since Frost finished last.



A very interesting, thrilling class.



The notion of difficulty needs some serious examination.



I am ready to go drink some whiskey now.



If anyone hasn't heard some these poets read, check out the real audio at:



Wild Honey Press