Skip to main content

Concerning Schools

I didn't realize the greatness of OS X and Mozilla. They are both so fast and clean and bright and precise.

One happy camper.

I wonder how and why the happy camper started? Does it imply at one time happy campers were rare?

I am teaching The New American poetry anthology in the fall (revised as The Postmoderns). Concerning the designation of schools/scenes, Butterick and Allen write:

"Those earlier designations, if they were anything more than terms of convenience, have been rendered obsolete and unnecessary by the poets' subsequent activities and associations. Postmodern is a more encompassing designation, while still having its own precisions."

I am wondering what makes Postmodern more precise than objectivist?

Does encompassing mean a nice wee plurality without context?

I worry about my encompassing desires. My flattening desires may have the backing of anti-hierarchal theorists, but I fear the expression and feeling of

"it's all good."

What might be lost? Schools/theories who needs 'em?

I do I do I do.

In the end it may all be bullshit, but in the meantime . . .

I don't have to hate your school.

School may be the wrong word. Not the right association. Maybe scene.

As in Lucipo scene?

Scene might limit less than school.

The DC scene is one to envy!

By the way, check out Backwards City (links to the right). They are doing a special school issue soon.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…