Skip to main content

Seminal Ommisions

Nice discussions going on in the blog world. The whole Jeff Clark review is interesting.

The idea of a negative review having a postive impact? A bad review or censorship can fuel the interest of a given poet/writer/artist etc.

Certainly this isn't always the case.

I am wondering if blurbs should be negative.

Like

______ poetry is the most miserable, unintelligent, bullshit you will ever read.

I am also interested in what Tony is discussing.

The idea of reading seminal work.

I would like to own up to all the poets I can't get into or haven't read who might be seminal to _____

(perhaps only for now; perhaps forever):

Ezra Pound (can't get into yet)
Zukofsky (maybe later)
Olson (can't get into yet)
Robert Duncan (I have a selected. Can't get into it yet)
Jack Spicer (want to read him but haven't yet)
Dante's Divine Comedy (only read the Inferno trans. by Robert Pinsky)
Ted Berrigan (only read a few of his poems)
Allen Ginsberg (only a few anthologized poems)
Ron Silliman (I have Jones and Lit but can't get into them yet)
Charles Berstein (only read a few anthologized pieces and A Poetics)
Ronald Johnson (I haven't read him yet. This one's a yet for sure. But it seems like everyone has read Ronald Johnson)

Alright, better stop. I could go on for quite a while.

Do I consider myself "well read?" I read poetry for four or five hours almost everyday.

Maybe I am not reading the serious, brightest, and the best?

How many "greats" are there?

Again, I agree with giving the big names multiple attempts.

But I am not sure if reading a certain list of great poets is necessary to write "great" poems.

The kneejerk might be either:

a) Pound is great because most of the good innovative poets say so (even though I haven't read much of his work)
or
b) Pound sucks because most of the older generation of innovative poets love him (even though I haven't read much of his work)

If Tony's main point is to not automatically dismiss a poet without having read them, I agree.

I have experienced the "not ready for this yet" many times.

I am more curious about the term/idea of seminal.

How/who/what makes a poet's work seminal?

Seminal:

1. a. Of or pertaining to the seed or semen of men and animals (applied Phys. and Anat. to structures adapted to contain or convey semen); of the nature of semen.

2. With reference to plants: Pertaining to or of the nature of seed. Bot. Of organs or structures: Serving to contain the seed.

3. gen. Of or pertaining to the seed or reproductive elements existing in organic bodies, or attributed in pre-scientific belief to inorganic substances. Formerly often in seminal power, virtue: the power of producing offspring.

4. fig.    a. Having the properties of seed; containing the possibility of future development. Also, freq. used of books, work, etc., which are highly original and influential; more loosely: important, central to the development or understanding of a subject.
 
What is central to an understanding of the subject of poetry?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…