Skip to main content

Understanding the etc.

Tony's blog makes me want to read Pound in the near future. I like to immerse myself. I am obsessive.

But I have to feel a kind of intuition in terms of timing.

I know full well what doesn't grab me today may grab me in a year.

Illusions of canon (you must read Pound)?
Illusions of non-changing self (I will never get into Pound)?

I never want to stop exploring the possibilities of poetry. I like to try new things. I hope I don't ever get to the point of comfortable writing (insert easy "mainstream" target here)

I sense the argument /discussion between Tony and Jim has something to do with author(ity).
(see how clever I am etc.)

I love the etc. I can't stop using the etc. the etc. Just somehow took hold of me. Wait. Who started the etc. Maybe I've seen it somewhere. WHO started the etc? The etc. means there's more. Means I know there's more. Means I am cool off the hip causual etc.

I am going to say many "Beat" poets might be seminal to an understanding of certain types of contemporary poetry. Pound may be seminal to an understanding other types of contemporary poetry.

This all strikes me as religious.

Where's god? Who am I? Where did I come from?

Which isn't necessarily a "bad" thing. But it can dangerous. The myth of origins.

It's also interesting to think about interpretation. Is it necessary to read X to understand Y? Well, what do we mean by understand?

Stand under etc.

Damn I love the etc. I wish I coined it!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…