Independence day

I just watched Cold Mountain (not a very good movie) and Fahrenheit 911. Both movies, combined with some of my experiences growing up in Portadown, caused a little mortality crisis and cognitive discomfort (hence this writing/grunting).



How do I want to die? Not by biological weapon, not by slow starvation, not by bullet, noose, or fire.



Will it ever be possible to handle power in a less cruel way?



It seem to me, the communities that handle power the best are small. It seems like size/nations are an issue.



I sometimes wonder what was gained by large nations discovering other cultures (+ and -).



On the + we learn (hopefully) cultural relativism. On the - we attempt to control and exterminate. Millions die so we can discover.



If we all believed the world was flat and continued to live in our own little corner of the world would we (and many others) enjoy a better quality of life?



And why so much money to explore Mars when we have so many alienated folks right here on planet earth?



What is America independent from? taxation without representation? No.

Tyranny? no.



But perhaps the degree of tyranny is a lot less than some other places, but that shouldn't be an excuse.



I was wondering, will my future children fight in a revolution in say 30 years?



Some days I love living America (ok, most days. I enjoy a lot of great things in America.) Other days I wonder if we should move to Australia or Belgium.



later today I will eat some great ribs and watch fireworks. The ribs will be great and the company will be excellent, but I am unsure what I am really celebrating (perhaps celebrating to celebrate is enough).



Independence day may never arrive but do we keep working for it?