literary history

I am still concerned about the conversion narrative (from school of quietude to avant garde). The problem is the narrative is too simplistic. But knowing where you're coming from doesn't have to be a bad thing does it? I am really enjoying the latest Chicago Review. The letters between Dorn and Jones (Baraka) are really fascinating. Shows how poets are in the times (not aiming for some religious eternal). The cuban missile crisis and Fidel and race.



I feel an affinity for the unaccomdating poetics of the historical avant garde. I also feel a little concerned about the watering down of the avant garde (I am not a purist though). I also feel excited by Mark Wallace's idea of multiplicty of forms. A re-evaluation of the past etc.



Anyway. off to teach for the second day. it's difficult to let go of summer.