Skip to main content

Desert City Reading Series, The Blue Door, Backwards City Book Sale

The a Desert City Readng Series kicked off again this past Saturday. James Brasfield and Joe Donahue read. Joe read some hot new poems. Lots and lots of voices. My spine always reacts to Joe's poems. Mystery, awe etc. Everything moves (mind as body etc.) Real energy transference. His new chapbook, In This Paradise, from Carolina Wren Press was available at the reading. I am really looking forward to reading it.

James Brasfield also read. He introduced his poems wel. Really set the mood. Very friendly. Made me want to take a look at Joseph Broksky.

Starting this season, after each DC reading, Lucipo members Todd and Laura are hosting The Blue Door after reading reception. As part of the reception a poet reads for 15 min and another art is also presented. I think there will be outside screenings of Super 8 films etc. This past Saturday I read from a long poem in progress ("Campanology") and local visual artist Ethan Smith displayed his paintings. A little Munsch. A little aliens. A little torture/ S&M.

We also celebrated Joe Donahue's 50th B-day. Sang. Ate cake. Drank Champagne. Every time I get together with the Lucipo folks, it's flushing. And boy do I need flushing. I also get full (but not clogged) at these events. I re-remember why poetry matters (in the doing, in the making) to me.

Also on Saturday, Backwards City mag had a book sale to raise money for publication costs etc. A good selection. Picked up Infinite Jest, Moby Dick, an Einstein book.

At the Desert City reading I picked uo Joseph Donahue's In This Paradise and Heather Fuller's Dovecote.

Now, I've got to decide how to teach Barbie/gender today in my English 101 class.

More coffee . . .

Comments

Ken Rumble said…
Marcus,

Thanks for the words about the series -- your reading was terrific as well. Also thanks for leaving the poem with me -- I enjoyed looking over it and am eager to check it out some more. "Body on lease (act now pay later" has been rolling around in my head since saturday night and still makes me laugh, groan, and say "yeah."

best,
Ken
Anonymous said…
sounds like a good time Marcus. An active community there, it seems...

Best
Scott

http://osnapper.typepad.com

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…