Skip to main content

film, cinema, movies

I am going to teach a film class in the spring. It's exciting putting together the syllabus. Going to use Monaco's How to Read a Film and a selection of articles from Film Quarterly. Still thinking through film selections. It's interesting to think about the words film, cinema, and movie.

Film: art
cinema: stage/world
movie: propaganda/consummed w/out critical thought

all three seem to need reflection/analysis. For some reason I really enjoyed watching Eyes Wide Shut. A lot of people I have spoken with think it is Kubrick's worst film. An embarrasement.

I am really excited to watch some Brekhage when it arrives. I would like to use his films in class. May also use Juliet of the Spirits (Fellini), The Birds or Vertigo, Blade Runner.

I took a film theory class in graduate school, so hopefully some of the discourse will return to me.

It's a rainy day in North Carolina. Another storm coming through. The darkness outside usually means sluggish students in my morning classes. I am feeling a tad sluggish myself.

Well, off I go. Rainy walk to school. I wish I still had my wellingtons. I miss my wellingtons.

Get Yourself a Pair

Comments

Tony Tost said…
Marcus,

One possibility could be Jean Cocteau's Beauty & the Beast -- beautiful black & white, very dreamlike. It is in subtitles, but the story is familiar so it will lessen students' anxieties. Plus, Brakhage cites Cocteau as a big influence. Also some interesting writing by Brakhage available: Telling Time, which collects a series of essays he did for a (I think) Canadian magazine, also a Selected Prose (which I think is less interesting) -- there's a Guy Davenport essay floating around that's on Brakhage as well. It might be in Geographies of the Imagination.

Alright,

Tony
Chris Vitiello said…
Marcus---
My fave books on film:

Abstract Film and Beyond, Malcolm Le GriceThis was published in the mid-70s but has great information about the development of abstract film from the very beginning of the medium, the narrative of which is a useful model for thinking about other media. It's unfortunately out of print and hard to find---abebooks would be the first place to look.

Visionary Film, P. Adams SitneySitney coined the controversial term "Structural Film," his concept of which is elaborated in a chapter of this book. He goes through the major categories of experimental filmmakers, detailing the careers and films of the most notable individuals. The Harry Smith and Kenneth Anger chapters are among the most-often-read things in my whole house. It's in print---in fact a revised edition came out from Oxford University Press in 2001 or 2002.

A Critical Cinema, vols 1-3, Scott MacDonaldThe spines of these three books of interviews with "independent filmmakers" add up to 3.25 inches on shelf space. Each book has about 20 interviews in it, with almost every notable experimental filmmaker represented, as well as a couple of more commercial names sprinkled in. MacDonald has written several other good books on films, including "Avant-Garde Film," which could be useful to excerpt alongside "How to Read a Film."

I have all these books so next time you're in Durham you can set a spell and thumb through them.

--cv
postpran said…
Tony and Chris,

Thanks for the solid recommendations. Fountains to you both. I am excited to discover the world of experimental/abstract film. I will check out those books Chris.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…