Skip to main content

Beverly Dahlen and Leslie Scalapino

I stumbled on a book of Beverly Dahlen's _A Reading 1-7_.

So far, I am really enjoying it. I just finished reading Leslie Scalapino's:
1) Way
2) How Phenomena Appear to Unfold
3) New Time.

I've also listened to the Kenning cd of Scalapino reading Way quite a few times. For some reason I hear Scalapino's voice when I am reading Dahlen. The sentence constructions feel similar. The "how" of it (meaning the syntax etc.).

I realize Scalapino is swimming through Buddhist philosophy and Dahlen seems to swim through (among many things) feminist psychoanalysis, but I wonder why their sentence structures and my reading (overlaying) of voice connects them as intimates?

I don't get the same sense of similarity in "voice" with Susan Howe or Bernadette Mayer.

I don't know enough (I never do) to know if there are some philosophical connections (and epistemological methods) that Scalapino and Dahlen hold in common?

I am also wondering how to select what to read. I read bits of theory, but cannot sustain a full blown reading project of say Jameson or Marx. I read bits at a time. I keep coming back to poetry (most times the critical lyric). Don't know why my mind cannot sustain long periods of theory/philosophy any more.

Sometimes I worry I don't have enough grounding in continental philosophy to write "good" poems (Derrida etc.)

On the one hand: "You don't need theory to write poetry"
On the other hand: "The critical and creative are not opposites."

The two hands don't cancel each other out. But I wonder if getting my philosophy "second-hand" via poetics is the same as getting it closer to "first-hand" via texts written by full-fledged philosophers?

In other words, is there a fundamental difference between "using" the philosophy of Wittgenstein and reading the philosophy of Wittgenstein?

If you "use" a philosophy is it possible to misappropriate it? If so, how can we know when we are misappropriating the language/ideas of a philosopher if language creates ideas as much (or more) than ideas are translated into language?

In other words, is misappropriating different (ethically) than mistranslating? If translating is more than a one to one correspondence (i.e. context) are all misappropriations also a mistranslation?

I do like the word Way. I travel from the bottom of the Y up to the forked path. I do this many times a day. Contrary to the pseudo wisdom of Mr. Frost. I hate FROST!






Comments

emily critchley said…
In answer to your 'musings,' you definitely do NOT need to read the philosophers (esp the ones you cite: marx etc!) to 'get' the poetry mentioned. i speak having spent a good 2 years reading the continentals: heidegger, arendt, merleau-ponty, barthes, derrida, wittgenstein - all the names traced in the poems by the subjects of my phd: scalapino, lyn hejinian & rosmarie waldrop. &, while it was interesting &, sometimes, enjoyable, it muddied the waters which, as you say, scalapino (& others) swim(s) in, rather than KNOW(S) authoritatively about.i ended up puzzled by what are definitely creative leaps - far better, realer ones than the original philosophy actually. & had to abort, critically speaking.
Charles Bernstein confirms your anxieties too: "Recently, a scholarly poet friend was telling me that he thought he would have to undertake 2 years of background reading in philosophy and lit theory and linguistics to find out what L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E was all about." He argues that, had his friend done so, "he would have read far more comprehensively in [the] area than most of the poets published in L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E." (_A Poetics_).
You see/ hear similarities between scalapino & dahlen probably because they both lived & worked in the san francisco scene for many years, & share many poetical, & feminist orientations. they also both skirt round the phenomenon which was /is LANGUAGE poetry, while bernadette mayer is most definitely a New-Yorker - 2nd generation NY school. i cant remember the other name you mention & dont want to go back to your page in case i lose everything just written.
but hope this helps anyhow. keep on. enjoy your enjoyment of WAY (word & book). & best grease to your elbow. emily
emily critchley said…
Having posted the above, i just noticed how LONG ago you made your original comments.
so sorry, the best things.. etc. etc.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…