Skip to main content

back in America

strange being back in America. Got back late last night. My body says it's 1:38AM and I want to sleep, but must push through the jet lag.

Great time in Dublin, London, and Belfast. Met my biological father (Reggie). Haven't seen him in 24 years. It was a good meeting. He had the same glasses, beard, and recently had his little toe removed. The exact same little toe that keeps bothering me. I'd like to keep my little toe, so I get it checked out.

We met at a drinking club called Buffs. Cheap drinks, well-dressed men, and a lodge downstairs. An experience. Six pints and a double whiskey in the middle of the afternoon.

I'm not going to drink any alcohol for a while now (at least till Saturday). Went to the pub on Christmas eve in a little village in England. It was packed. Everyone drinks their way through Christmas and the new year.

Comments

Laura Carter said…
Welcome back to the states. Your poem on Spaceship Tumblers is marvelous!
Chris Vitiello said…
Welcome home, Marcus. We kept the country warm for you.
Anonymous said…
Welcome back Marcus. I listened to the poem at Spaceship Tumblers - excellent. I've been looking at that poem on the page for many weeks now and to hear it read by you brings it on home. A perfect example of the importance of verse to be read aloud. (and heard for that matter.)

Thanks for the effing plug by the way. (the mag will be made available within the next week when the covers come back from the printer).

Best
Scott Pierce
postpran said…
thanks you'all. It is warm here. Where did winter go?

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…