Skip to main content

From Campanology

at the Buffs in Belfast. after twenty-four years.
no ark for flood. no balm for ear. (liquid filling
into liquid). horses on the telly. lust of memory. and the larynx
of that place. at the table his hand on my leg. his toe my toe.

and afterwards the _____
of that place

twisted syntax
we fragment together

in sound
and sour stomach

a dweller in figment
hybrid of whole

words a make-shift cargo. sometimes a crater. a jewel in the soap.
consider the riggs: make-shift screen, make-shift heart, make-shift
as a spray of honesty and the excuse of it

two claws in the throat
little bitch of a rose
a hedge in the rain.

stamp and release. away in the head. no crib for a bed.

close the gate lovingly.
for my mother.
for white stones.
for uncounted pennies.

meaning begin again
between carpeted walls.

or push down the snib. mind the road.
the journey is long and ends quickly.

either way out of sequence
in a land never safe
from the (s)word.

Comments

Laura Carter said…
Your reading of this on Spaceship Tumblers rocked. I found it moving, beautiful.
postpran said…
Thanks Laura. I also enjoyed your poems on the Spaceship. Both "trace" (pulling the river from my respirator sticks with me) and "Of Field" (I like how you are playing with elegy and the allusion to Jesus/figs among many other things).

The spaceship is a lot of fun to listen to. Tony should make a cd or all the readings or something.
Laura Carter said…
Thanks, Marcus.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…