Skip to main content

The Bookshop is still # 1

If you're ever in Chapel Hill, NC you must visit The Bookshop. I have yet to find a better used bookshop for poetry.

Turned in a small box of poetry books and got $86 in credit. Picked up:

1) North of Intention by Steve McCaffery (essays)
2) Poetry on and off the page by Marjorie Perloff (essays)
3) John Ashbery's Selected Poems
4) Frame Structures by Susan Howe (early poems 1974-1979)
5) Incarnate: Story Material by Thalia Field
6) Doublespace by Hank Lazer (poems 1971-1989)
7) Rome, A Mobile Home by Jerry Estrin (never heard of him but looked interesting)
8) Light Travels by Rosmarie and Keith Waldrop ( nice little chapbook)

The Selected Ashbery had a bonus (actually two):
1) Some kick ass GRE scores from someone named Anthony
2) a good poem called "Spring in Canada" (maybe written by Mr. Anthony)


If Anthony would like his scores returned I can bring them to the next reading. This man rocked the analytical section!

three cheers for fab bookshops!








Comments

T-Nat said…
the question though is what was in the box that you turned in? ... and I do always stop by The Bookshop when I'm back up on the Hill visiting the alma mater ... excellent stuff there
postpran said…
Trip,

Good question. Some of the books I turned in were signed so I think that bumped up my exchange credit.

Some of the books in the box:

- Selected Gerald Stern (signed)
- Castle Tzingal by Fred Chappell (signed)
- A Wave by John Ashbery (signed)
- Selected Stephen Dobyns (signed)
- Frame by Barrett Watten (sun and moon classics)
- Selected Robert Watson (signed)
- small broadside of poem by Robert Watson (signed)
- Sky Lounge by Mark Bibbins (graywolf)
- Nemesis by Lew Daly (did not connect/move me etc.)
- selected Stanley Kunitz (signed)
- Selected Galway Kinnell (signed)

there were a few other books (mostly trade paperbacks, novels).

All in all, I don't think I'll miss the books I traded. I was holding onto some of them for sentimental reasons. I am trying to be tougher on my collection. Narrowing it down more. Creating my own personal canon (which is in no way small).

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…