Skip to main content

Good music. Good books.

Just picked up Medeski Martin and Wood's Notes From The Underground. I am liking it a lot so far. What a range!

I have found music without words works best when I am writing. Or perhaps words in another language (I'll see about that when I try out some opera).

Also just finished reading _Rome, A Mobile Home_ by Jerry Estrin and immediately wanted to re-read it straight through. I really really needed to read this book (I'm always searching for that book I need to read right now).

Here's just a small sampling of the lines that made me linger:

"People have often said the city when they meant / capitalism."

"Fantasy is clipped from living material. / Responsibility is unjustifiable."

"The powers of order are never naive / power works by normalization."

"Stoicism of unironic singularity."

You made get the idea it's theory heavy. But it's everything. surreal images, "confession," celebrities, demotic speech, humor.

This is a book with a mind to match its heart.

I think I am going to interrupt my regulary scheduled reading plan and start reading Laura Moriarty's _Rondeaux_. Not that I expect husband and wife to have the same sense of language, but I am very curious now. I would imagine poet partners/husbands/wives would have some kind of effect(s). Maybe a school of two?

I like it best when I know nothing (or very little) about an artist and find their work by accident. I think that's why presses with editorial visions matter to me. I may not like everything Roof puts out, but I can trust their consistent sense of excellence. Verse press also has a strong editorial vision.

The danger for a press with vision is of course producing the same type of work and becoming stale/boring etc.

I think I am going to look for more Roof books. Anyone have a particular press they "trust" in terms of the quality of the work they publish?





Comments

Adam Tarleton said…
Re: MMW. You should check out their collaboration with John Scofield -- A Go Go. Good stuff. Funky.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…