Skip to main content

Alien Tatters

so I am turning 31 tomorrow. it's a strange number. the only significance being 10 years older than 21 (the age of drinking in the U.S.).

In other news, I am fully enjoying Alien Tatters by Clark Coolidge. I tried to read Mesh and Own Face about a year ago and couldn't make a go of it. I wish I had kept those books. They are in some Durham used bookstore (unless someone purchased them).

It's strange how art speaks differently at different times. I would say my readings for the past year helped me contextualize/appreciate Coolidge's work. After reading a lot of Jack Kerouac, Basil Bunting, Ron Silliman, and some of Finnegan's Wake, I can appreciate what is happening in Alien Tatters (goes good with Sparklehorse or straight up silence). I like to dig in with newly discovered writers. spend some time with them. I just ordered The Crystal Text and the Talisman interviews (William Bronk, Clark Coolidge, Bernadette Mayer and others).

I am also still reading the collected Tom Raworth. I love that man's work!

I feel like I should get a baby blue t-shirt.

(WAY TO GO. TAR HEALS!)

Maybe I really can live here. Not fond of the heat (or the wasps), but those are small beans compared to Greensboro friends and the ever-growing Lucipo community.

Comments

Chris Vitiello said…
other significance of 31 -- # of baskin robbins flavors

crystal text will rock your world

you know alien tatters was originally called alien taters and was about potatoes that looked like other planets

i'm pretty sure that potato thing was actually one of brent cunningham's jokes the last time we were out drinking in san francisco but our jokes kind of run together

i'm glad you're in nc

fuck the wasps // happy birthday
Tony Tost said…
At first I thought you wrote, "I am so turning 31 tomorrow," which kind of throws a different tone on things. Happy Birthday!
Laura Carter said…
Happy Birthday! I'm enjoying the Ride tunes very much right now.
Adam said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

FYI: 31 is a prime number, so for the next year, you're at a prime age.

We're glad you're in NC, too.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…