Skip to main content

input and output

I am really amazed by the output of Clark Coolidge. I read Own Face, Alien Tatters and I just finished The Crystal Text. I loved these books so much I want to read everything Coolidge has ever written. But that's a lot of books and my assumption (where did I get it) is that if someone publishes that much it must be uneven.

Take the case of John Ashberry. I've heard many readers complain that he publishes too much. Or they enjoy early or middle or late Ashberry. I still don't really enjoy Ashberry. I have no desire to read everything he's written.

So, what's the difference between Coolidge and Ashberry in terms of their amazing output? Well, from the three books I've read of Coolidge they seem very interconnected. There are aliens in The Crystal Text and a lot of speculation about faces etc.

In other words, it seems like a life's work. A continous transmission with lots of riffs but with underlying themes.

I have been afraid of repeating myself as I am almost complete with MS # 3 (right now called Pawn King). But I am starting to think in terms of a life work. Interconnected books.

It seems there is a big difference between Tate and Dean Young repeating their moves in book after book and the long projects of Coolidge, Silliman etc.

The integration of life and art is of course a continual project. I think Coolidge (and Silliman) are maxamalist poets par excellence in that they bridge this gap (and many others) quite well.

So:

1) To let the generative power of language happen

2) Immerse

3) Something coming from the outside (radio, google, lord brain etc.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…