Skip to main content

a booming of voices

After leaving the Mormon church, I immersed myself in Buddhism and Eastern Spirituality. But it become a problem when I mixed it up with stoicism. From an early age I experienced emotions as negative. I did cry. But anything male was very negative. I was not what you might call handy. I had bushy blond hair and was very sensitive. Girls liked me, but mostly as friends.

I've hid away my aggression for a long time.

I thought aggression was part of the bombs. A bomb blew off a guys legs. He was in a blue van. His legs looked like a piece of carpet on the street. A bloody piece of carpet. He was screaming and it affected me quite a bit.

I value compassion, but in cutting off "negative emotions" I might limit my ability for compassion.

I think I might have been happier when I believed in a still small voice. Now I am painfully self-conscious.

I write for immersion. Not in the sense of mind-numbing. But to lose myself. I don't want self-expression. I want out of my self as much as possible. But I want awareness while out of my self.

I count my breaths but maybe it's time to try other types of meditation.

I am afraid if I let in too much emotion, I will break down and not recover. Sounds dramatic I know. But there's a lot lurking.
I would like to try some visualization. Maybe I'll look into that.

Nihilism has been too strong a feeling for the last four or five months.

There is so much suffering out there and in here.

Since the still small voice told me Mormonism was the one and only true church and I now believe it was all bullshit, I have a difficult time trusting instincts, emotions etc.

Poetry is the place where I go to let go of my self-consciousness.

The still small voice has become a booming of many voices.

Art is an emptying out.








Never mind the beasts

Comments

didi said…
I don't write anymore and I feel I am becoming bitter. I am not sure if I like myself better bitter or stupididly optimistic.

d.
Anonymous said…
Give. Give. Give. In whatever way you can. And trash is trash. Take it out to the curb where it belongs.

bc

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…