Skip to main content

projects

On the lucipo listserv there was a recent spate of discussions about projects and individual poems. I tend to value the book over the individual poem. I can name my favourite books much easier than my favourite poems.

However, Carl Martin helped me with his critique of projects. A project can delude the writer into proclaimations of profoundness. This is not always the case of course (Duncan/Olsen are excluded from this critique for example). This made me rethink form. Form, especially in Post-Avant poetics, seems highly valued. Form and book length projects. Whereas a lot of mainstream poetics have collections of individual poems. This is not always true. There are always exceptions.

I wanted to center book two of Resident Alien around kings. I also structured it in groups of three (three line poems as snapshots). Now I am l not satisfied. I realize the king idea is a little forced in places. it's forced because I want to make it thematically cohere. It's helped a lot to let go of that. Revising, rethinking, reworking. My energy is back in full swing!

Going to try out some revisions and new poems from RA 2 this weekend in Athens and Georgia.

Sometimes I feel like all the profound spiritual poetry is a fraud/delusion etc. Other times I desperately seek it.

Comments

didi said…
poetry bah humbug.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…