Skip to main content

a little more from Wonderland

2/10/06

I want to populate new cities

A thicker ear abstracts me

Tea tends to give me the trots

And alas this dust unsettles me

2/14/06

Valentines Day

the six-year olds
gave me
chocolate &
socks

2/17/06

This is JakJeon

A constant buzz of lights

The smells are strong and the pavement is uneven

My hands are filthy and my mouth is drying out

2/22/06


Korea is inefficient but some of the folks are fantastic

Everything is in the air

I’m leaving Wonderland for Gyeongin National University

Just like a faucet there’s comfort
in the sound
of small drops
through a pinhole

2/23/06

I do believe
I have a naked
craving

no one makes these rules

my movements
are regular
& my shit
floats

there are different names for the same thing

God knows justice is smug

P
L
O
P

P
L
O
P

boil the burns
stitch the season
& I’ll follow you
into this dark

Comments

Chris Vitiello said…
Hey Marcus -- I particularly like the 2/17 entry there. These poems are choppier than your other Resident Alien stuff. Any interest in talking about why that might be?
We miss you in NC, be well,
cv
postpran said…
Thanks Chris.

I think the choppy aspect is related to speaking very slowly in fragments to my Korean students. I keep hearing German in my dreams (it was the main foreign language I studied in high school and college).

I don't know the Korean language yet (beyond "hello" "Thank you" "Goodbye" "pretty" and "killer hot girl."

It is interesting that you make note of this. I am hoping this physical move will change the direction(s) of Resident Alien which I am seeing as a lifetime work (maybe).

This whole experience is making me homesick for Ireland (which is a half-alien place). I keep meeting Irish people teaching here so memories of Ireland keep surfacing much more than when I was in America.

(silence, exile, and cunning etc.)

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…