Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

I didn't realize how much I appreciate Thanksgiving. For a long time I disowned it because most of my relatives were in Ireland. But then I created some wonderful memories with my ex-wife Tiffany and her friend Missy. Now I am missing them terribly today. A rough week so far. No human contact for a few days. Just in my flat all day and then going to the internet cafe. I had a big argument with my former boss at the Callan school in Katowice. He was very insulting so I walked out. I am counting the days till I am out of Katowice and I start my new job. The lonliness really got to me last night. I am starting to realise my lonliness is deeper than just not having human contact. When I keep busy with work and socializing it is just masking a deeper emptiness. But maybe that's just the way it is.

I do have a lot to be thankful for. I am eating and have a nice place to sleep with running water. I do have friends (even if most of them are half way around the world).

Anyway.

I am going to get out of this internet cafe and find something to eat.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Comments

Chris Vitiello said…
hang in there, dude -- you are recognizing that the Katowice situation was no good for you and you're doing something about that. that has to be worth something, even while feeling pretty bad.
didi said…
I think lonliness has little to do where you are physically but more so where you are mentally - I am going through a similar situation sort of speak.

d.
JWG said…
Eat up. Drink up. things will turn. just keep moving forward... or come back to seoul, we got the uso and turkey.

maybe you have a poem to write.
postpran said…
Thank you all for your kind words. It really helps to know I still have friends out there :-)

I am feeling much better now. Maybe I needed the ugliness of katowice and the isolation to appreciate the difference in my current situation. I am 5 min away from a few friends. Rumor is i might have internet.

I do miss you Chris and Jim. And Didi I miss being part of your gigantic miPO project that just keeps getting better and better. Keep up the great work.

Love ya all!

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…