Skip to main content

rebuilding

I am at the burn out stage for living in a foreign country where I don't speak the language. Some of you who have worked abroad may be familiar with this stage.

In both Korea and Poland it went something like this:

stage one: 1-3 months. Fascination. An intense interest in the food and culture. An attempt to learn a few words. Everything is full throttle. Staying out late. Trying everything and anything related to the culture

Stage two: 4-7 months. Wondering what I am doing. Worrying about my future. Feeling frustrated. Looking for something exciting. The sound of the foreign language is frustrating. Everything is very loud. Especially old ladies.

Stage three: 7-12 months. A decision whether or not to stay in the country. If staying, then a more serious attempt to learn the language. Either assimilation or leaving the foreign country.

Stage three in Poland is much different than Korea. I knew I was going to leave but in Poland it is much different. I have an opportunity to settle for a little while in Poland with decent living conditions.

So I am going to start a Polish class next week. It is a difficult language but if I can get to a pre-intermediate level in a five or six months I will be happy. It will certainly make me feel more comfortable.

I will also try the DOS thing.

Earlier this week I felt horrible. Fever.

I know the best job for me is teaching. If somehow i can find my way back to teaching university it might also be nice.

I need a constant stimulus of mind. New ideas. Passion. Obssession. But the DOS position should help no matter what I end up doing. It will help for teaching EFL/ESL and it will help for other careers.

Maybe I will get a membership at the local gym and lower my stress.

So . . . I will keep going. In September I will have my own flat and internet. And if I can save enough money, I should be able to get a big 17' LCD screen and external keyboard. I saw one for 600zl ($200). So it is possible.

I did make a new Polish friend named Sylvester. And also a friend from Canada named Todd. So that helps a lot.

I just need to find/make a sanctuary again.

Yeah. It's going to be ok.

I have done quite a lot of writing despite the psychological hardships (divorce, foreign countries, isolation in communist hotel etc.)

So . . . yeah. Literature and the arts are my passion. I will keep the fire burning!!!

I am feeling optimistic today. 33 is not too old. It's not the end. I am still young. Still rebuilding.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just wondering if the divorce came about because you're a sexist little shit?
postpran said…
hm . . . interesting. Not sure what you mean. But no. Don't think my ex-wife would in any way agree. We are still good friends.

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…