Skip to main content

OK CHANGE OF PLANS AGAIN

so I finished two teaching contracts in Poland. The second contract was only for three months in Bielsko to see if we both wanted to continue.

So here is the big news.

My contract for the next school year was made "null and void" not because I am a bad teacher or misbehaved but

BECAUSE OF THIS BLOG

YES. YOU HEARD IT RIGHT.

I received a short email while I was in London saying my blog was "gross misbehavior" and my contract would not be honoured.

I have never said anything bad about the school on this blog or to anyone. I really believed it was a good school. Actually, I still believe it is a good school. Great teachers.

Of course I am reasonable. If I said anything damaging to the school I would have no problem deleting posts.

But because of my musings about teaching and Poland on this blog, my most recent school decided to void my contract for the next school year.

Seems a bit crazy in some ways.

It is a pain to find a new job and a decent place to live etc. But I need a good professional, stable, reasonable, friendly school. I have a lot of experience and I have no doubt I am a good teacher. It is just as well I didn't continue with the contract. It is obvious the job was not quite stable etc. I want a solid contract year at a school. I don't want to move around. I am tired of moving around.

I had a sucessful interview in Krakow. But still looking.

So many fly-by-night ESL schools in Poland and all over the world. I want to get paid. I am sure teaching is for me. If I can just make a future out of it. It can be difficult in Poland with no savings etc.

But yeah teaching and writing is the best for me.

Just gotta keep riding . . .

head up . . .

stay positive etc.

Comments

Chris Vitiello said…
oh Marcus, don't let the gross misbehavior thing get you down. sounds like a very low-class thing to do, particularly from a school that's supposed to foster learning and information exchange and all that. it's an indication that that school does not have good ideals, like you do.
cv
JWG said…
Crazy stuff. they lost a good teacher over this sweet blog? How about a University gig? Least there you know that you will be paid. Good luck on this next interview. I hope to be UK bound this time next year. Details.

Jim
postpran said…
thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I am feeling less guilty now. One door closes another opens. Lady/lion???

hope to see u both in person again someday!!!
Jill Amber said…
Wow. Just now reading this post. That sucks. I sometimes worry about my employers finding my blog and take precautions not to mention work in a negative light in my posts. One of my co-workers just asked me to be his friend on Facebook, and I had a minor panic attack. I like to keep my worklife and my private life separate. Any photos of me drinking or engaging in, erm, illicit behaviours is not to be seen by the people who cut my paycheck.

Well, that was a long tangent, but the gist of it is that I empathize, and I'm sorry. I hope this new job works out, though! Hopefully, in time, you'll see that your contract was negated because you're better off in Katowice, and your getting fired was the Universe's way of being eloquently forceful in getting you there...

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…