Skip to main content

Gender roles

I have been thinking about old patterns. In marriage therapy towards the end of my marriage I realised I needed to be more assertive. To tell my wife no sometimes. To take on more "masculine" traits in terms of being decisive and a bit less open etc.

I believe in freedom. I hate jealousy.

it is something I have to get used to. I am not really passive in other areas of my life. Maybe too aware of gender etc. I don't want to be the type of jealous controlling guy who thinks a girl is his property. I guess there is something in between that. Women want to feel wanted! It is normal! I also like to feel attractive to other people of course. And maybe some jealousy is an indication that you actually love someone?

Passion is important. Even if there some arguments and frustrations. Everything can't always be neat and tidy. I suppose I want my outside world to be ordered and comfortable since my inner world is a bit crazy.


Gender roles are very strong in Poland. In clubs girls will often say no many times when a guy tries to dance with her. This keeps happening on the dance floor until the girl finally accepts his advances and then they kiss etc. I have seen it time and time again. I can't do that because I have it in my head that when a girl says no she means no in terms of advances etc.

A lot of girls want or expect the guys to be aggressive. Maybe this is changing with the new generations???

hm . . .

Comments

cantadora said…
Interesting -;)!

Funny, I really interested in "gender studies", and ... I have been thinking a lot about gender patterns for last time (read two books, by the way: "The brain sex" Anne Moir, David Jessel and "Sex and Cognition" Doreen Kimura):)))Have you read these? :)

I'm not sure the pubs are good places to doing general observations about gender roles in some (all) country -;) Perhaps you might be right there, but you must know that Silesia is a special region in this aspect.

You wrote:
"A lot of girls want or expect the guys to be aggressive. Maybe this is changing with the new generations???"

I think, if the most of girls stop to expect the guys to be agressive (in definite circumstances) it will be a change -;)

Aggression is manifestation of high testosteron level, and for that reason is biologically atractive (it's "a proof" for connected, desirable traits) for a lot of "XX" -;) -;)
Even if it's inadmissible on a ground of awareness -;)

By the by, equality is social required, but differences are sexual attractive - people sometimes confuse these ideas -;)

See you tomorrow, Marcus :)
postpran said…
hm . . . I will look into those books. They sound very interesting. Yes I think social equality does not mean we should ignore the biological differences between men and women and what those differences may mean. We are still animals after all :-)
postpran said…
very strange that after writing about aggression and gender I was attacked at Spiz club by the crazy juiced-up bald headed bouncer. Hm . . .

:-)
cantadora said…
We atrract the things we are thinking about...when you have a new shirt and you don't want to smut it, always you do it -;)

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…