Skip to main content

a bit of paradise

I found a bit of paradise yesterday.

First, a very cool feast at an Iranian restaurant with my former student from Iran named Ben. Sauces and yogurt drinks and all kinds of amazing bbq'ed meat. Carpets on the ceiling and wall.


Second, cool exhibition of Felix Topolski called Topolski Century. Overground trains shook above us while looking at murals from the 20th century. He was everywhere in the 20th century. Amazing work.

Third, the poetry library on the firth floor of the Royal Albert Hall. Treasures galore! I wanna live in that place. Small press wonders from the 1960's and beyond! Also a balcony with a view of the Thames and Big Ben. It doesn't get any better!

Bummer is you can only check out four items. I borrowed:

1) John Wieners The Hotel Wentley Poems (1st edition)

2) A Bernadette Mayer Reader

3) A Secret Location on the Lower East Side (all about the small presses in the 1960-1980)

4) Memorial Day by Ted Berrigan and Anne Waldman (Aleos Books 1971)

One day I want to start collecting my books again. But alas, I am on the move. Really nice to have this amazing resource in London.

Today was uneventful. Off to get bread, cheese, coffee and other essentials then maybe some Six Feet Under.

Not ready for Monday. But who is????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…