Skip to main content

Spain versus Turkey versus London

so got a job offer to teach 9-14 year olds English in Murcia area of Spain. Near the coast. 1300 EUR a month. Awaiting possible interview with Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey. If I get the university gig in Anakara it should be around 1000 EUR a month.

And then there is London for the poetry community but have to work during most of the readings and living at bare minimum to survive with average monthly salary of 952 EUR. Temporary. No paid holidays or sick days etc. A morning shift and evening shift almost every day.

I walk four miles a day to work and back to save on transport plus it is good exercise (this is actually good and not a moan).

I do have some great adult students. I feel I am doing something worthwhile overall. But there is a lot of government red tape and so on. Also the subject matter (English grammar and job search classes) do not satisfy or challenge my mind.

I have made some good friends who are also poets in London.

I love having the possibility of connecting to other artists and poets face to face.

Perhaps Spain is bit too touristy. A bit too stereotypical in its happy holidays makers and property hunters. Perhaps. And then there is the difference between ages. University students and teaching English 101, 102 in Turkey or teaching ESL to 9-14 year olds in Spain.

Money is such a strange energy force. A taboo for authentic people. Something people love or try to get their whole lives.

Money becomes a bit important when there is quite a serious lack. I have no desire to own anything except books and my macbook and some clothes. No house. No car. Just my two feet. Enough to eat. Enough to see things. Enough to get a plane ticket to see my parents and brothers and sisters in America once a year.

And my own writing space. However small and simple. But mine. A center.

Someplace . . . no place . . .

I like ambient music and birds and Jack Spicer and True Blood and way down in the hole and I am addicted to the energy exchange of poetry and music and art.

I am in love with simplicity with the paring down. The measuring out. The collecting and discarding. Whittling down.

I am not in love with money. I hope I can be buried cheaply cause I doubt I will have life savings or insurance or or or . . .

So yeah. There has to be a place for folks that don't wanna play the capitalist game.

Spain vs. Turkey vs London??????????

Comments

anna said…
London! surprise marcus? well!!
I would like write you how I discovered you and why i discovered you. interested? but,please shhhhh..
I felt that your are someone special,poet.....
Kornelia said…
Or maybe something else, hm?
Hope we will all get there. Wherever it is.
postpran said…
ah yes. that place. that place is a place I will search forever for . . .
The Editors said…
You must stay. There is work to be done.

- Alex
chris said…
tough choice

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…