Skip to main content

20 hours of riding Polish trains

wooden boxes. Some are a bit more advanced than others. But the infrastructure is still very basic. The way back was a late night train for 10 hours. Started a bit before midnight.

Jotted this in my notebook half asleep at about 6AM as the sun was slowly leaking into the dark of the train's compartment.

Of course still rough . . . much more to come. . .

Elblag Katowice Elblag
"the measure of love is to love without measure"

to get
from side of
Poland to the
other I'm
traveling
with priests in a closed
compartment
one has thick glasses
I'd say 26
and the other priest
giggles and a gooey eyed
nun comes I'd say
around 21 and they
pray and pray
10 hours of mumbling
holy Polish and this
is a midnight train
a ten hour communion
with what I don't
know
---------------------------------------------------
Let the record show Polish trains leave you saddle sore. Sometimes the babel and the banal turns brilliant. There is need to trace my teeth to gums. I've invented something simple for the rats but my yogurt has gone sour. The toilet is full of shit with a footpump to drizzle out the water. If we fall into the fizz, I wanna lick you all over. The old spooks on the way to Kalingrad hold their heads in their hands. I've met my head in the sweat boxes of Polish trains. Getting comfortable in your skin is a class thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…