Skip to main content

a room of one's own

last time I was in Katowice it was Christmas. I sat in a little room with a giant snowman and lots of Russian dolls and wrote a flash fiction about Polish beavers. It was a story about my impressions of Poland and globalization. The Poles can do Gangnam style like no other. The story is in the mag Sprung Formal. It's called I love Beaver:

http://issuu.com/sprungformal/docs/lilsprung2013

The little room has been renovated. It has merged with the front room. The giant snowman is hibernating in a box somewhere. There are still lots of Russian dolls. I am looking at hundreds of Russian dolls as I am typing this and sipping Turkish coffee.

This morning I finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was an OK book. Somewhat entertaining. Not fully satisying. I had to finish it to get to the good stuff. The good stuff is Sam Pink. I am ready to read Sam Pink in this room full of Russian dolls in Katowice, Poland. It is a good place to read Sam Pink.

The room is part of flat which is part of a block of flats in many blocks of flats in an estate called Manhatten. It is not Manhatten. It is nothing like Manhatten. It is the Queens of Poland.

It's time to finally wash my hair in Poland. The last time I really washed my hair was in Alicante Spain three days ago.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

poets reading poets

There are on A now: Andrews, Antin, Apollinaire, Ashbery


A project from the Atlanta Poetry Group. Check it:

http://atlantapoetsgroup.blogspot.co.uk/

The Poetry of Tao Lin

Another Ireland by Robert Archambeau

This review really hit it for me. I recently read Maurice Scully's _Livelihood_ and Geofrey Squires _Untitled and Other Poems_ is on deck (I love that baseball term. It is baseball, right?)

I think this is from The Nortre Dame review, but I found it via goofle (I mean google).


Another Ireland: Part Two
Maurice Scully, The Basic Colours. Durham, UK: Pig Press, 1994.
Geoffrey Squires, Landscapes and Silences. Dublin: New Writers' Press, 1996.
Catherine Walsh, Idir Eatortha and Making Tents. London: Invisible Books, 1996.

By Robert Archambeau

I began the first half of this article (Notre Dame Review #4) by mentioning some of the limits to the legendary hospitality Ireland has shown to its poets. If you arrive in Ireland from any point of departure outside of Eastern Europe, you will indeed find a public far more willing than the one you left behind to grant poets the recognition all but the most ascetic secretly crave. However, this hospitality has never extended to Irish poets w…